Approve bus contract with Cedar Mountain Bus Service as presented
The Butterfield-Odin Public School (B-OPS) School Board took action on numerous agenda items related to staffing at the school government group’s Monday, May 22 in the school’s Media Center.
That action included:
- Tabled approving the full-time K-12 B-OPS Principal contract with Gregory Ewing for 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 until salary negotiations are completed.
- Approved hiring Lucia Beckendorf as an English As Second Language (E. S. L.) teacher for the 2017-2018 school year at a Step BA+30 with a salary of $38,289.
- Approved the non-renewal of the teaching contract for Jeff Whitney (E. S. L./Science), as of June 30, 2017.
- Approved the resignation of Kayla Schmiesing, Fourth-Grade teacher.
- Gave approval to administration to open and post for the position of Fourth-Grade teacher for the 2017-2018 school year.
- Approved the resignation of Cliff Anderson (Science).
- Approved hiring Annie Petersen as a .72 Grades 9-12 Science teacher for the 2017-2018 school year at a Step 7, Lane MA, with a salary of $33,174.72
- Gave approval to administration to post for the position of a full-time Special Education teacher for the 2017-2018 school year. This opening occurred following the sudden death of teacher Wendi Anderson.
- Approved the recommendation for tenure to the following teachers – Angela Becker, Kindergarten teacher; Emily Stevenson, Second-Grade teacher and Kayla Schmiesing, Fourth-Grade teacher.
Board members approved the terms of the contract with Cedar Mountain Bus Service of Morgan as it was presented to them at the Monday, May 22 meeting.
The contract calls for regular route transportation fees of $9,058 per month for nine months for two regular bus routes.
Activity, shuttles and other trips will be paid as follows:
- Activity trips – $1.30 per mile plus $15 per hour “sitting tiime;” $50 minimum trip fees.
- St. James shuttles and an additional shuttles – $1.30 per mile plus $15 per hour “sitting time;” $50 minimum.
- Special needs – $1.40 per mile plus $15 hour “sitting time;” $50 minimum.
The bus service will furnish all buses and complete maintenance and repairs on them, with fuel costs the responsibility of the school district. Bus drivers will be hired by the service.
The terms of this contract are effective from August 1, 2017 until August 1, 2022, provided that each successive year’s overall contract rates will increase by 2% over each preceding year’s rates.
In other business
+ Approved a three-year extension of services for school auditors Abdo Eick & Meyers LLP, Certified Public Accountants, with minimal 2.5% increases for years 2016-2018.
+ Approved adding Half-Time Superintendent Ray Arsenault to the signature cards at Triumph State Bank-Butterfield and Odin State Bank-Odin.
+ Approved the revised Fiscal Year 2016-2017 budget.
+ Approved the revised 2017-2018 School Calendar. First day of the school year is Monday, September 11 for high school students and Wednesday, September 13 for elementary students. Earl entrance conferences for PreK-Grade 6 will be held Monday, September 11 and Tuesday, September 12. The last day of class prior to Christmas Break will be Friday, December 22, with school resuming on Tuesday, January 2, 2018. Easter Break will run from Friday, March 30, 2018 through Monday, April 2, 2018. Graduation for the Class of 2018 will be on Friday, May 25, 2018. The last day of school will be a ½-day on Tuesday, June 5, 2018.
+ Discussed the purchase of a new snowblower (blower and brush). Two quotes have been gathered, one from Toro, at a cost of $24,060 (no cab or brush) and from Andy’s Auto Repair and Towing at a cost of $40,613 (a discontinued model). No action was taken.
+ Discussed Taher Inc. for the school Food Service, working with St. James Public School.
+ Learned of plans to hire Steve Christensen as .5 Art/Technology teacher and .5 Technology Coordinator.
+ Heard from Superintendent Arsenault concerning a meeting with Tim Harbo where environmental safety was discussed.
+ Heard from K-12 Principal Barry Schmidt in his final meeting. Principal Schmidt discussed the death of Wendi Anderson, her open Special Education position and High School Summer School to be held during July-August.